Thursday, March 1, 2012

Building Your Make-up Kit


Building your make up kit can be tricky if you do not know what to buy first. Well, here are some of the most basic things that a make-up kit should carry.




1.) Powder Foundation/ Pressed Powder
This is very important in our kit, it is probably the most important. Powder foundation can make you look fresh instantly!It is always wise to keep a powder foundation/pressed powder around to matte-ify our skin. You don't want to be seen with a face that looks like you can fry an egg under the scorching heat of our sun.


Recommendations: There are a lots of brands out there, find the one that suits you. Different products cater to different skin types. Some people break out in some products while some don't.
Lunasol Skin Fusing Powder Foundation




I'm loving Lunasol Skin Fusing Powder Foundation. It's a bit pricey, retails at more than P2000.00 but I'm sure it's worth your money! Its coverage is just the right coverage between light and heavy. It is heavy enough to cover your imperfections (i.e, pimples, scars, veins) but is light enough not to make your face cake-y. Let's not get started with the finish, it's just perfect! It gives you silky smooth skin and I am not exaggerating on this.Whenever I use this powder foundation on my face, I get lots of compliments on how "kinis" my face is. :) The secret is to choose the right powder. ;) 


Since I ran out of my previous one, I have tried other products and although they are also from a good brand, it's not as good as this Lunasol. I'm currently using Clinique Travel Club Powder and Lipstick Duo.





In choosing the right products, know when to save and when to splurge and I say that it is okay to splurge on foundation because as the word says, it's your foundation, your skin will be first one people will notice.



2.) Blush On
Sweep this lightly with a brush to give you that instant flushed cheeks. Who doesn't want to look blooming? This is a no brainer because every girl I know have a blush on so no need to explain further. 

In applying blush, you have to make sure to blend your blush properly. Start on the apples of you cheekbones. Do not leave a mark in your cheeks that makes your blush looks like it's shouting "hey, look at me! I'm a blush on!!" so make sure to blend it towards your hairline. Do NOT over blush! Blush on are supposed to just make you look flushed and glow and not make you look like you are joining the circus. The less obvious your blush is, the better.

There are a lot of drug store brands that are good. 

I'm currently using MAC Pink O Peach 


3.) Eyebrow Pencil/ Shadow
    I swear that every girl should learn how to groom their brows. Visit the nearest threading salon near you. Since I wasn't blessed with nice full brows, I rely so much on eyeliner pencils for my brows. If only I had known it earlier in my life, then life back then would be much better.


   I only used eyebrow pencils when I was already graduating from college. I was always intimidated by eyebrow pencils and eyebrow kits just because I did not know how to use it. I swear I regret not learning how to use this earlier in my life. This is one of the best inventions! 


I will make another post on how important it is to groom your eyebrows. :)


Shu Eumura H9 Hard Formula Eyebrow Pencil



I am currently using Shu Eumura H9 Hard Formula Eyebrow Pencil. It's a bit pricey for an eyebrow pencil but it's so worth it. I am using mine for more than a year now and it's still super long. I haven't use 1/4 of it yet. Take note that I use it every SINGLE day. In the end, you will save more rather than if you keep buying new eyebrow pencils because other pencils run out very easily because you have to sharpen them regularly. Have your Shu pencil sharpen in the store, they have a unique way of doing it (see photo above) to eliminate waste of product if you sharpen it normally using a pencil sharpener. I just can't stop recommending this product to everyone. It's a must have!


4.) Lipstick
When it comes to lipsticks, the sky is your limit. There are endless choices of lipsticks. The most common shades of lipsticks are pink, coral and peach. For everyday use, find the one that matches or is the closest to your natural lip color. 


Save or splurge? I say, BOTH, since a girl can never have just enough lipstick. It is okay to splurge on lipsticks that you will use the most. Chanel, Mac, Dior and Lancome are good lipstick brands. They have richer and creamier formula that makes your lipstick stays on for many hours. There are also some good lipstick brands like Revlon and L'oreal. 
MAC Please Me




A lot of local drugstore brands also has nice collection of lipsticks but what I don't like about their formula is that it may seem like plastic when you apply it, a bit dry on the lips and it doesn't stay for long. After an hour of wearing it, you can see the color is already fading out. The formula is not as rich and as creamy and as pigmented as the other international brands. But it doesn't hurt if you buy one or two or three or maybe a lot of it, you can always switch lip colors. It's the most fun makeup to play with. Ever Bilena Matte Lipstick in Pink Flame has a nice shade of pink.


I recommend Mac Matte Lipstick in Please Me for everyday use as it has a rich matte texture which glides on perfectly on your lips and stays on for hours. It's the perfect pink which is not too catchy and bright. Perfect for everyday use. 

5.) Eyelash Curler and Mascara
Give your eyes that shine by curling your lashes and adding mascara. The best eyelash curler is the ever famous Shu Eumura Eyelash Curler. Fanny Serrano also has a good eyelash curler.
Shu Eumura Eyelash Curler



If you are thinking if you should save or splurge in mascara the answer is to save. Drugstore brands work just the same. The brand that is very true to their word is Maybelline. They have a lot of different kinds of mascara that you can choose from. 
Maybelline Magnum Volum Express






So there. This is where you will start and once you get yourself familiarized with make-up I'm sure you'll never stop buying for more and building your collection. :)


What are your all time favorite make up products? :)


More posts to come. :)


xx, 


Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment