Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Life Choices

I'm currently very stressed out again. I thought that I will get over and done with this but seems like here it is again.

Why have I never thought of taking up something more challenging as my course in college? Why have I never thought of taking up say, engineering? I have always been so sure I'll end up working for my family business which is a clothing manufacturing company that is why I never bothered to take my college seriously.

I have always been happy go lucky. Never gave a single thought about my future. What I'll do in the future and where I'll work is not something I was interested in. I was so sure I will end up helping my family out with the family business and a lot of say that I don't need to take up a business course to be able to learn about it so I never bothered to take up something related to it. Instead, I insisted on taking up Psychology as my course because that is what I wanted. I wanted to know more about the human mind and how they think and why they think that way because I was curious. I never thought about if it is what I wanted to pursue in the future.

Twist of fate came on my last term in college, around February. I was offered a job in Cebu to be a manager of a glass processing company and I thought, why not? I did not think much about it. The only things I considered were:

A.) I hated the commute when I took my OJT so I never want to experience commuting to work every single weekday.
          I live in Valenzuela and it's no secret that it's very far from the corporate world of Makati where most offices are located or maybe Ortigas. It will take me almost or more than 2 hours to commute to work plus another almost or more than 2 hours to go back home. OH NO. I will die. I had my OJT (On-The-Job training) on one of my last few terms in school in Accenture in Cubao. Cubao is considered close to Valenzuela already compared to Ortigas or Makati so I was so glad I got accepted there. Official office hours was 9-6 but it was flexi(ble) time, meaning you can be a little bit late as long as you adjust your office hours. If you get in at 10, then you'll have to go home at 7 to complete your 8 hours a day work. Back to what I was saying... I had to leave home at 6:30AM just to get to office at 9 something AM. That's more than 2 and a half hour of (bus) commute to Cubao. Don't get me started with MRT which will take me more time to fall in line and blahblahblahblah....

I just hate the commute. Okay?

So it was either I suffer travelling to work or I work in the family business which I realized is also not something I wanted to do because...

b.) I wanted to grow as a person.

Somehow I don't see myself grow as a person if I work in the family business because I'll get too comfortable with my parents and sisters as my boss. I'll just sit around, play computer, have an easy life, not moving forward, spending my parent's money on everything I want, etc.

This, I realized only later in my life. I wished I realized this before I started college so I could've given myself more challenge in choosing the course that I want. Not that I'm saying BS-Psych was not challenging but I am pretty sure engineering will be so much more challenging.

WHY DID I NEVER EVER THINK ABOUT TAKING UP ENGINEERING FOR COLLEGE?

I know the answer but I want to ask anyway. Because it's not a girl thing and no (majority of the) girl(s) will ever think about taking up engineering if they don't have any background.

Oh well, it could have been so much easier for me now if I took up something related to machines/electronics. Life will be so much easier if we can see our future so we can prepare for it like taking the right course in college.

That was enough blabbing. My hand kinda hurt now.

I was not done blabbing yet!!!

As I was saying, I was not able to fully contemplate about the situation, me moving miles across the country. My thoughts were generally:
 
a.) Hey, cool! I'll live above my office, I don't need to commute from Valenzuela to Makati anymore.
b.) Oh cooler, I'll have my own car to drive around the city and to work (future office at that time and currently my present office).
c.) Coolest! I'll have my own room!
d.) I'll be a manager and I'll be powerful.
e.) I'll have greater opportunity to grow as a person rather than to be dependent to my family like how I used to be.
f.) I'll be rich!!!

NEVER THOUGHT OF:

a.) I'll be away from my family.
b.) I'll be away from my friends. What's the use of your own car if you cannot use it to go out and lakwatsa anyway??
c.) I don't even have friends. :|
d.) I left practically my whole life in Manila.
e.) Everything is new here in Cebu.
f.) I just graduated college, I don't know a single thing about business what more managing a business?
             
 I didn't realize that to be a manager is a BIG responsibility until I was here for about 3 months already and when I finally realized it, I was so close to crying and had thoughts of going back home but I know I couldn't do that and I wouldn't do that. I will not quit with what I have started. I just have to face this with courage and strength. I have to believe in myself that I can do this and that I am not alone. What was I thinking exactly when I said yes to the offer? I don't remember giving much thought about it. I was just glad I have a job that's not bad  very good for a fresh grad student and all the shallow reasons I stated above.


I am just thankful for my bosses for believing so much in me and for sticking up to me. I just know that the future will be bright because I believe in Him.



xx,

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment